SO I REALIZED IN ANSWERING MY OWN INTERVIEWS RECENTLY THAT SOME QUESTIONS DURING THESE WERE FAR FROM PERSONAL. WHICH IS TOTALLY FINE; INTERVIEWS ARE FOR US TO TALK ABOUT OUR WORK! STILL, SOMETIMES AS READERS, WE ARE LEFT WANTING TO GET TO KNOW THAT PERSON BEYOND THEIR CAREER— AND I THINK IT'S A SHAME THAT SOME OF THESE SUPER IMPRESSIVE PERSONALITIES AROUND US ARE NOT ALSO RECOGNIZED FOR HOW KIND, SPUNKY, GOOFY, AND FUNNY THEY ARE. WHICH IS WHY I WANTED TO ADD EXTRA SPICE TO THE QUESTIONS THAT I ASK— AND TO SHOW THAT THE INCREDIBLE HUSTLERS YOU SEE HERE AND READ ABOUT ARE 1000% HUMAN, EVEN IF THESE SUPERWOMEN SEEM BEYOND IT SOMETIMES!
MEET MAIA COTTON
This beautiful angel is one of the sweetest humans ever. And I'm not just saying that! Whenever I talk to her I feel like I've been hit with the best energy. You know the type of people who you can just tell that they have a huge heart, exploding with kindness? That's Maia. 😍
You may have seen her in a Victoria's Secret catalog, magazine covers or her instagram
(be careful bc if you're like me you'll end up scrolling her pics for 50 hours); but for those of you who don't know Maia personally, she is also a wellness chef (and a painter!).
I hope this interview can do a little justice in showing beyond her beauty--how down to earth, sweet, passionate, intelligent... list goes on! :)
Who are you / what do you do?
My name is Maia Cotton, I’m 21 and a full-time model from New Zealand.
Describe yourself in 3 words:
Determined, empathetic, open-minded.
Do you believe you’ve found your calling?
Yes and no. When I was 15, my only goal was to be able to book enough modelling jobs to afford to move to New York. And then once I achieved that it became working for a certain client, and then a campaign, etc. I’ve always been an ambitious and driven person and am constantly thinking of what will be next. My career goals are ever-changing and hope that modelling is just the beginning for me!
What motivates you?
- Achieving a goal I’ve set for myself.
- Making my family proud.
Who was integral in helping you get to where you are today?
What is your mantra?
Work smarter, not harder.
Who are you inspired by?
Karlie Kloss, Maya Angelou
- Athleisure Brand: P.E Nation, Alo Yoga, Set Active.
- Make up artist: Hung Vanngo
- Healthy Restaurant: Hu Kitchen
- Un-Healthy Restaurant: Technically this isn’t a restaurant… but Gooey on the Inside cookies.
- Podcast: Criminal, Oprah’s Supersoul Conversations
- Book: A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
- TV show: Mad Men
- Movie: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Way to make coffee: Black with a dash of almond milk
- Drink: Tequila and lime. Or a spicy margarita!
What are 3 tips you can give your community when it comes to being a model?
- Don’t take rejection to heart. It’s not personal.
- Be kind to yourself.
- Don’t compare your career to others.
What’s your daily workout routine? How many times do you workout a week?
I typically workout 5-6 days a week. However only about half of those days are high intensity, and the other half something like yoga or pilates. I love exercise and how it makes me feel, but I don’t put too much pressure on myself to do something super intense every day.
What are some things everybody should know when it comes to wellness?
Be consistent. When I started trying to implement wellness in to my life, I completely overdid it to the point where it’d make me go crazy within a week. Changing habits is extremely difficult, let alone more than one! Once I realised that, and took the pressure off myself, that’s when I started seeing and feeling long-term results.
What is your skincare routine?
I cleanse with either the Cetaphil Gel Cleanser, or the Peter Thomas Roth Acne Clearing Wash. I like to use this one every other day as it is a little less gentle on the skin, but is packed with salicylic acid which is a wonderful ingredient to deeply cleanse. I then use the Barbara Sturm Glow Drops, and moisturise with the Barbara Sturm light moisturiser. At night I remove any makeup from the day with Bioderma Micella Water. I then cleanse and apply serums. First, I use the Antioxidant Energising Essence by 111Skin. Then the THEOREM REPAIR LIGHT SERUM by 111Skin, followed by Barbara Sturm Hyaluronic Serum, the Kheil’s Creamy Eye Treatment, and finish with the Barbara Sturm Moisturiser. Once or twice a week I also use Goop’s Instant Facial to exfoliate too.
3 foods or supplements you try to incorporate daily:
- Plenty of greens.
What role do you think collagen plays in skin and hair?
I believe collagen is an essential supplement if you want to maintain glowing skin and hair! If you imagine how abundant it is in our bodies, you can understand how vital it is to facilitate its reproduction.
What results were you the happiest about from Crushed Tonic?
stronger nails... my nails had become so weak and thin from gel manicures. CT really helped them get stronger again!
Any wellness or skincare/ hair tips? OR Any morning / evening rituals?
- A couple of months ago, I stopped looking at my Instagram first thing in the morning, and have been surprised at how much I have noticed a change within myself. Particularly in how apprehensive or stressed I could be before I’d properly even opened my eyes. I think a great ritual to get in to, even if its a few minutes is starting the day with a quick stretch, a big glass of water, or even just a few deep breaths before reaching for your phone.
Favorite Crushed Tonic flavor?
- It’s a close call, but turmeric.
- Crushed Tonic is my favourite collagen I’ve tried, by far! I think the key to taking collagen and seeing results is being consistent with it, but because CT tastes so good it is so easy to do that! I bring it with me everywhere, even when I travel.
And now, spill the C-Tea ;) 🍵
Celebrity (or non-celebrity) crush
Biggest red flag in a partner:
Lying! Even if it’s a small white lie, I think it’s a bad sign.
Something most people don’t know about you
Perhaps that I’m Māori, which is an indigenous New Zealander. Or that prior to modeling I wanted to be a full time ballet dancer!
Something most people should know about you
That I love to cook.
Advice you give but never follow
Describe your type / 3 things you look for in your significant other
Honesty, Affection, Thoughtfulness
Your most embarrassing addiction?
Real Housewives of NY